Tips for Great Artwork
To ensure you get the very best results from your print, we ask all of our clients to review our
helpful guidelines before sending your print ready artwork to us. This will ensure your artwork
Let's start with the perfect artwork…
- PDF, Corel, PNG or Hi Res JPEG and Tiffs - Converted to or saved as a Print Ready PDF file
- Correct business card size once trimmed: 90mm x 50mm or 85mm x 55mm excl bleed
- 3mm safe zone (no text near the edges)
- Try to avoid using borders
- Avoid using thin and or small text, especially if it has 2 or more colour mixes
- Fonts outlined / converted to curves
- For solid black colour don't support it with Cyan or Yellow or Magenta. Just leave it Black. Digital printing machines print Black beautifully on it's own.
- Good quality images and graphics (anything above 300dpi is great, Vectors even better)
- CMYK colours and not RGB or Pantone (RGB and Pantone colours will result in colour differences)
Bleed is an extra margin around the edge of your design where any background elements that
touch the edge of the page are extended slightly. This allows for slight inaccuracies when the
printed sheet is trimmed to size, so cutting through that buffer of colour will avoid leaving any
thin white strips along the edge of your print.
Printers generally can’t actually print to the very edge of sheets, so instead they print on a
larger sheet of board and then trim it down to the correct size. Crop marks are used to define
where to trim.
Any content that you want to appear completely within the final printed business card
should be kept inside the safe zone. Placing content too close to the top, bottom or
outside edge of the artwork could result in that content being cut off during trimming.
Bleed and No Bleed
Ensure graphics and images go right to the edge of the artwork – past
the safe zone, trim line, right up to the bleed line. If your images/graphics
don’t, it may result in a strip of the background colour (white board)
showing through on the edge.
Text Safe Zone
Ensure your artwork has a ‘safe zone‘. Keep text at least 3mm away from the edge of the document,
any text outside the safe area may be cut off. Please keep in mind that if the corners are to be
round add an extra 1mm safe zone.
Sadly the use of borders near edges can result in lopsided cards, and we
wouldn’t want that, so avoid them where possible.
Ensure all fonts are ‘embedded‘ or converted to curves.
Whilst we have an extensive font collection, there
is no guarantee that the version you have used
matches ours. If your fonts aren’t embedded our
system may substitute the font for a different one.
Ensure all images and graphics are above 300dpi.
If your images look ‘pixelated’ or fuzzy
on screen then the chances are it’s not quite good
enough quality for professional printing.
For best results use vector based graphics.
CMYK vs RGB
Please ensure all artwork is provided in CMYK format. Files provided in
RGB format will be converted into CMYK before print and may result in
significant colour differences from what you see on your monitor.
All jobs are printed to within the printing standard of 10% colour variation.